To begin, you’ll need a high quality webcam and a Mac/PC and:.
- Built-in HD webcam
- Alternate Option: External HD webcam (if your computer requires it, ProCom staff can lend you a Logitech C920 webcam)
- Advanced Option: Use a dSLR camera. Consult a ProCom technology staff member for access.
- Don’t look down to the webcam, look up
- Make sure the light source is in front of you, never behind
Installing Panopto onto your Computer
Panopto for Mac can be installed on up-to-date Macs (OSX 10.9 and up). The Windows Panopto app is also available for download (the setup workflow is very similar to what follows).
- Download Panopto for Mac by logging-in to panopto.fcad.ryerson.ca and selecting “Download Recorder” by your name.
- Open the “Panopto.pkg” and install.
- If prompted for administrative approval, enter in your computer’s password
Click here if you need to review Panopto’s technical requirements.
- Locate the Panopto application in your applications folder or look for the icon on your dock. Click to launch.
- Click sign in (if prompted, our server panopto.fcad.ryerson.ca)
- Enter your appropriate credentials for my.ryerson.ca (CAS) and click Log In.
Once authorized by ProCom staff, creators are able to log into Panopto for Mac with their my.ryerson.ca CAS credentials. They will be able to record video, audio, PowerPoint/Keynote presentations and also add Screen Capture functionality (useful for software demonstrations, video).
Once signed in, click on Create New Recording.
Create a Recording
By default, the Recorder will open up to the last known configuration of recording devices. If you have recorded content before, the same devices will automatically be chosen. If you are using this for the first time, Panopto defaults to Offline Recording. To complete an Online Recording, click the down arrows as highlighted in red below, if there are folders available.
Select Recording Sources
Panopto allows you to choose the devices that you wish to record with. These devices include web cams, video cameras, audio inputs, screen captures, PowerPoint/Keynote and remote devices. To select the device you wish to use in your recording, simply check the box next to the device(s) listed within the application.
Under Primary Source, you can selected your webcam to record. The Secondary Source section allows you to capture your screen or an additional video source. Under the Slides option, you can capture PowerPoint or Keynote slides
After selecting the available inputs, begin the recording by clicking on the red “Record” button. You should then open up your presentation software (or whatever programs you’d like to record) and deliver your presentation. To stop recording content, switch back to Panopto and click on “Stop”. Once you choose to stop the recording, you will be presented with the post-recording dialogue box. This provides users with another opportunity to rename their recording, provide a brief description, or delete their recording and start over.
The next screen will show the status of the recordings. By default, Panopto will automatically upload the recorded content to the server. As the recording is being transferred to the server, you can preview the recording in the “Preview” area if “Audio,” “Video,” or “Screen Capture” was recorded. If the preview was not sufficient, you could choose to “Pause Upload” to pause the upload of the files to the server. The “Actions” button has two options; “Show Files” or “Delete”.
**Note: Audio is required for all recordings to complete and be posted to the web. You will receive a pop up error message if no audio/video is selected when recording.
To access your recordings, login to panopto.fcad.ryerson.ca. They will appear under the course folder.
We’ve written a quick guide to walk you through the process.